Mt Pleasant News
http://mt-pleasant-ia.villagesoup.com/p/968124

Neighbors Growing Together | Apr 24, 2014

Early morning alarm leads to visit from fire department

By LOVINA EICHER, The Amish Cook | Feb 26, 2013

We are having some snowy days this week although there is not much of an accumulation. We have had quite a day already. Joe left for work around 3:30 a.m. I had turned off the light and was ready to go back to bed until 5 a.m.

I heard an alarm go off in the basement, so I went to go out and check it out and it was a carbon monoxide alarm. I could smell soot, so I checked our coal stove but it looked okay. I figured that it might be the gas water heater and shut it off.

I get worried more since the fire we had last year and decided to wake all eight children. I called 911 to ask what I should do. They said to get everyone out of the house and they would send someone to take a look.

Everyone was still sleepy and it was difficult to find clothes and coats by flashlight. I didn’t want to turn on our gaslights just to be safe. Remembering the fire we had, everyone was shook up a little more. It was cold, around 20 degrees, so I told the children to go in the tool shed where it would be warmer.

It ended up that the whole fire department showed up. They checked the carbon count and it was 32 close by the water heater. It had probably aired out since I had shut it off.

Elizabeth didn’t go back to sleep since she leaves for work around 5:15 a.m. I think everyone will be ready for bed early tonight.

We have someone here now checking out the water heater. It sounds like we could be getting some downdrafts, too. They are adding a fresh air vent to prevent the build up of carbon monoxide. With so many gas appliances running plus the coal stove we need more ventilation. Our house is so air tight and during the winter months when we don’t have windows to air it out, it builds up faster.

They tested our propane gas lights and they throw off a little too. We use them longer during the winter months also. We hope this will take care of any more problems. I am glad we had the carbon monoxide detector down there.

We received word that Joe’s great Uncle Amos died. We regret that we didn’t find out in time to attend his funeral which was yesterday. Our sympathy goes to the family.

The children enjoyed their two-day mid-winter break. It went way too fast. Friday evening and Saturday we helped Jacob butcher hogs. They have lots of meat now. We made pon hoss out of 12 gallons of juice from the pork bones. We have had quite a few meals of it. Everyone in our family likes it.

We have also been using the fresh sausage Jacob sent home with us. We use it in breakfast burritos, casseroles, gravy, and fry it for sandwiches.

We have two hogs on order, but they are not quite big enough to butcher. We are thinking they should be ready it about three weeks. We plan to cut up a big beef before that. I will be glad to get those greasy jobs off the list. By then it will already be time to do some spring cleaning. Time does not stand still.

Try this sausage and rice bake

CHEESY SAUSAGE AND RICE BAKE

1 pound sausage

2 cups grated cheese

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1/4 teaspoon onion powder

3 cups hot cooked rice

3 eggs, beaten

1 (4 oz) can of mushroom pieces

1/2 cup milk

Cook the sausage, crumble and drain. Combine cooked rice and 1 1/2 cups of the cheese. Spread into a buttered two-quart casserole dish. Sprinkle sausage over rice. Combine rest of the ingredients except for 1/2cup of cheese. Pour over the sausage. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes. Cover loosely with foil while baking.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.