Fire claims rural Salem residence
By BROOKS TAYLOR
Mt. Pleasant News
SALEM — “There wasn’t much we could do,” said Salem Fire Chief Steve Nichting, reflecting on a Jan. 27 fire that destroyed a rural Salem residence.
“When we arrived there, fire was coming out of every window and door,” Nichting continued. “There was nothing to save.”
The home is owned by Pete and Alicia Yocum and the couple resided there with their two small children. Ironically, Pete Yocum is a Salem fireman. However, no family members were home when the fire broke out shortly after 12 noon on Tuesday.
Mt. Pleasant and Hillsboro Fire departments were summoned for mutual aid, but Nichting said aid was not needed “because we couldn’t save anything. We protected a few things outside. If we would have kept spraying water on it, the house would have fallen down anyway.”
Nichting said a passing motorist saw flames coming from the house, located on the 2900 block of Fremont Avenue in rural Salem, and reported the fire at the one-and-one-half story farmhouse.
The fire chief said the fire was caused by a malfunction in the electrical system. The Salem Fire Department was at the scene for about three hours, he said.