Fire extensively damages Mt. Pleasant home
A fire yesterday (Sunday) afternoon extensively damaged the Eric and Kirsten Heerdt home on the 600 block of North White Street. The fire, top photo, reportedly began when a natural gas pipe ruptured in the basement. The fire quickly spread upward through the two-story home. The Heerdts and their two children escaped the fire without injury. The fire began around 2 p.m. and firefighters were on the scene for about five hours. Fifteen firefighters and three trucks responded from Mt. Pleasant and eight firefighters and one truck were on hand from New London.