New London students choose to graduate early
By MEGAN COOPER
Mt. Pleasant News
The New London school board meeting was short and sweet Monday night as the All Bands Concert began at 7 p.m. and the board wanted to be out in time to enjoy the concert.
First on the agenda were four students who requested early graduation. Those students were, Nora Job, Brielle Netherton, Tyler Schneider and Stephanie Powers, all were approved for early graduation pending completion of requirements.
The board also went over the results of a survey that students were given concerning the 1:1 laptop initiative. The students were asked how they like the laptops and it was going using them. Allison Lair, curriculum director at New London, created the slideshow with the results; the students really like having them.
“The board also discussed the early retirement policy,” said board secretary, Jessica Boyer. “They have approved the policy and will allow two early retirements this year. Gina Anderson has already requested early retirement and will receive the $15,000 early retirement compensation. After her, there will be one left on the table.”
Activity Director Chris Selby was also excited to learn that New London received a new piece of equipment for the weight room.
“She was really excited about that as she is working on getting rid of the old equipment and putting new in the weight room,” said Boyer.
Superintendent Stephen McAllister discussed the update with the teacher-leadership grant.
“We received $6,900 on how to write the grant and the planning of writing the grant. If we actually receive the entire grant, we will receive $375 per student,” said Boyer.
The board also:
• Approved the contract for SVPA Architects to begin work on the bond issue items that were approved.
• Approved an additional half-time teacher for At-Risk. Alaina Nelson will now be full-time At-Risk and Deb Scott and Bridget Swailes will absorb her special education classes.
• Dana Boles was approved as a volunteer cheerleading sponsor.
• Discussed the elementary food drive that will be taking place.
• Discussed the dates for the make-up game that was missed due to snow last week (Cardinal).
The New London School Board will meet again Jan. 20, at 7 p.m. in the board room at the high school.