Postponements force moving of NL High School play to April
By MEGAN COOPER
Mt. Pleasant News
New London High School’s spring musical, “Annie” will be pushed back a little due to make-up games.
“We had to push the musical back because of all the make-up games we had due to the winter weather,” said board secretary Jessica Boyer during Monday night’s New London School Board meeting. “The students haven’t had much time to practice, so they moved it until April 5 and 6.”
During the meeting, senior Kristen Allen, approached the board in order to ask for an exemption for her prom date.
“According to our policy, no one can be over the age of 21, and her boyfriend is over 21,” said Boyer. “She was just asking for an exemption.”
During the meeting, the board also approved the following sharing agreements and other action items:
• Mt. Pleasant for high school girls’ soccer.
• Mt. Pleasant for high school coed bowling.
• Danville for middle school and high school boys’ soccer.
• Danville for middle school and high school cross-country.
• Personnel agreement with Mediapolis for transportation director services.
• Participation in the voluntary four-year-old preschool program.
• Audit firm proposals – remains the same firm, which is Hunt and Associates of Oskaloosa.
The board also proposed the 2014-2015 district calendar as a discussion item and a public hearing will be held at the April 14 school board meeting on this matter.
The board approved a 10-cent increase across the board for meal prices during the meeting.
“This includes K-12 meals and also breakfast,” said Boyer.
The board, during meeting, also approved:
• The tax rate to rise to $17.55 per $1,000 taxable valuation, which is a $2.75 increase over the current levy. There will be a public hearing on April 14.
• The resignation of Tom Koontz, assistant high school girls’ basketball coach.
• The retirement of Sally Burchfield, K-12 guidance counselor.
The New London School Board will meet again on April 14, at 7 p.m. in the board room at the high school.