The benefits of exercise
Did you know that the American Heart Association and American Diabetes Association recommend 150 minutes of physical activity per week? That breaks down to 30 minutes, five times a week!
Physical inactivity is major risk factor for cardiovascular disease, and most Americans are not physically active enough to gain any health benefits.
The benefits of daily physical activity
• Reduces the risk of heart disease by improving blood circulation throughout the body
• Improves the ability to fall asleep quickly and sleep well
• Counters anxiety and depression and increases enthusiasm and optimism
• Increases muscle strength, increasing the ability to do other physical activities
• Establishes good heart-healthy habits in children and counters the conditions (obesity, high blood pressure, poor cholesterol levels, poor lifestyle habits, etc.) that lead to heart attack and stroke later in life
• Keeps weight under control
• Prevents bone loss
• Improves blood cholesterol levels
• Boosts energy level
• Helps manage stress
• Improves self-image
• Prevents and manages high blood pressure
Check out the calories you can burn in a day:
Light housework: 150cal/hr
Strolling 1.0/hr: 150cal/hr
Golf with cart: 175cal/hr
Walking 2mi/hr: 200cal/hr
Cycling 5.5mi/hr: 210cal/hr
Mowing (riding): 250cal/hr
Mowing (pushing): 270cal/hr
A heart healthy recipe:
Laura’s Recipe Corner: Southwest Chicken with Cilantro Salsa
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (1/4 lb. each)
4 Tbsp. lime juice
1/2 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro (chopped)
1/3 cup thinly sliced minced green onion
1/4 -1/2 jalapeno pepper (seeded and minced)
2 Tbsp. pine nuts (toasted) optional
1. Preheat broiler. Spray broiler pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Brush chicken with two tablespoons lime juice. Place on prepared pan. Sprinkle with pepper. Broil chicken two inches from heat 8-10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center.
3. Meanwhile, combine remaining two tablespoons lime juice, cilantro, onion, jalapeno pepper and pine nuts, if desired, in small bowl. Serve with chicken.
Nutritional analysis: Calories 122; Total fat 3g; Cholesterol 58mg; Sodium 80mg; Carbohydrates 2g; Fiber 1g.