Mt Pleasant News

Wash Journal   Fairfield Ledger
Neighbors Growing Together | Oct 19, 2017

Dear Abby - Grandma is tired of being a chauffeur

Nov 29, 2016

DEAR ABBY: My daughter and son-in-law have only one vehicle that is running. He works out of town, so he drives it, which leaves my daughter home all day without transportation.

Earlier in the school year, they signed up my granddaughter for after-school sports and she has to practice every day. Since my daughter has no way to take her, they expect me to pick up my granddaughter and bring her home. This means I have to wait for her for about an hour after I get off work, which delays me an hour or more getting home.

After working all day, I'm tired. I just want to get home and get all the things done that I need to do, so I can rest and get ready for work again the next day. I feel like I'm being taken advantage of. -TIRED AND USED

DEAR TIRED: This shouldn't be your responsibility. When your daughter and son-in-law signed up the child for sports, they should have thought it through. Rather than impose upon you, perhaps they should ask the parents of other children in the program if your granddaughter could ride along.

You stated that your son-in-law drives the only running vehicle, which leads me to believe they have another one that's broken down. Could you loan or give them money to put it in working condition?

DEAR ABBY: I'm the manager of a medium-sized apartment building with several older tenants. As these tenants get older, their needs become greater. When it's time for the children and family to step in, not all do. Some have told me that giving the manager $20 at Christmas will ensure that Mom/Dad gets to the grocery store, bank and doctor, and the bills are paid all year.

This is not my family, and I do not feel obligated to take them to run their errands.

Is there a legal means to make them take care of their own? Threatening to have them charged with elder abuse doesn't work. -NOT A DAY CARE OR RETIREMENT HOME

DEAR NOT A DAY CARE: Make a list of various resources for seniors in your community and offer the information to the "children." Further, neglecting a vulnerable, elderly parent is considered elder abuse, and if that's what's going on, you should report it to your county adult protective services office.

DEAR ABBY: I was engaged to a man for seven years. Two weeks after our seventh anniversary, he decided he didn't love me anymore. We parted a year ago, but he has been texting me, picking me up from work and taking me to lunch or dinner quite a lot lately. We spent one night together, but since then, he hasn't contacted me. What should I do? -TRYING TO MAKE SENSE OF IT IN HAWAII

DEAR TRYING: Your former fiance has the sensitivity of a rock. A rewarding relationship with him is not in the cards, move on.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.