Mt Pleasant News

Wash Journal   Fairfield Ledger
Neighbors Growing Together | Nov 22, 2017

Iowa Wesleyan men win third straight game

Jan 23, 2017

The Iowa Wesleyan men’s basketball team traveled to Jacksonville, Illinois Saturday afternoon to take on MacMurray College.

The Tigers defeated the Highlanders in their previous meeting back on November 30 and they were looking to take the series with a win today.

IW pulled away late in the first half, and did not trail the rest of the way to secure a 91-77 victory over MacMurray.

The Tigers trailed in the opening minutes of play.

Michael Soukup gave IW their first lead of the game at the 16:23 minute mark after knocking down a three-pointer.

MacMurray and Iowa Wesleyan traded baskets over the next few possessions, and Steven Soukup brought the score to 14-13 in favor of the Tigers.

With 13:13 remaining in the opening half, the Highlanders sank a three-pointer to tie the game up for the third time.

Mitch Drey answered for the Tigers with a three-pointer to start a 10-2 run for Iowa Wesleyan. MacMurray would go on a run of their own to get back within one point of the Tiger lead, but Brock Butler drained a three-pointer with 9:38 remaining in the half. The Highlanders were able to keep the game close, cutting the deficit to three points, but Iowa Wesleyan’s offense took off at the 7:51 minute mark.

Steven connected from behind the arc to start another offensive run for IW, and the Tigers saw their lead extend to as many as 18 points before the half was over. At the end of the first half, IW held a 55-39 advantage over the Highlanders.

Iowa Wesleyan took a few minutes to get their offense up and running after the break, but Steven Soukup was finally able to put IW on the board with 17 minutes on the clock.

The Tigers hit another dry spell with their next basket coming almost three minutes later. Once again, Steven hit a jumper to end the drought for Iowa Wesleyan.

Drey followed with a three-point play after getting fouled on a fast break. His free throw put the Tigers up by 15 with 14:12 left to play in the half.

MacMurray was able to cut the Tiger lead to 10 points with 13:10 remaining, but that would be as close as they would get the remainder of the game.

Iowa Wesleyan went on another run and built their lead to 20 points after a three-pointer by Austin Walker with 9:33 on the clock. The Highlanders continued to try to chip away at the IW lead and managed to cut the deficit to 13 points with 2:11 to go.

After a fast break by MacMurray, the Tiger lead was 11 with 1:23 remaining, but Steven answered with a three-point play to secure a 91-77 victory over the Highlanders.

Steven led all scorers with 37 points in the win. He was 14-20 from the floor, including 5-8 from behind the arc. Steven went 4-5 from the free throw line and also had a team high six assists for IW.

Drey was 7-10 from the field, knocking down three three-pointers, and was a perfect 4-4 from the free throw line for 21 points on the night.

Butler was the final Tiger to reach double digits. He added 12 points in the win.

Iowa Wesleyan will return to action on Wednesday, January 25, 2017. They will host Blackburn College in Ruble Arena at 8 pm. The Tigers move to 12-5 overall and currently sit in second place in the SLIAC standings with an 8-2 conference record.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.