Mt Pleasant News

Wash Journal   Fairfield Ledger
Neighbors Growing Together | Oct 23, 2017

IWU men drop home game to Nebraska Wesleyan

Nov 23, 2016

The Iowa Wesleyan men’s basketball team hosted Nebraska Wesleyan University in Tuesday night’s basketball action.

The Tigers were looking to build off of a double overtime win against Marian University this past Saturday. Despite holding the lead on several occasions, Nebraska Wesleyan defeated the Tigers by a score of 101-89.

The start of the first half saw some back and forth scoring in the first couple minutes of action. Steven Soukup hit a jumper with 18:02 to start a run for Iowa Wesleyan.

The Tigers went on a 9-0 run to extend their lead to eight points just over three minutes into the game. Nebraska Wesleyan did not go away, and with 13:21, they came back to tie the game at 14-14.

The Prairie Wolves took the lead on their next possession, but Iowa Wesleyan did not let them gain too much of an advantage.

Michael Soukup hit a jump shot for the Tigers to put IW back in front by one. With 8:47 remaining in the first half, Brock Butler drained a three-pointer to put the Tigers ahead 26-19.

Nebraska Wesleyan went on another run and tied the game up with just under seven minutes to play in the opening half. The Prairie Wolves regained the lead and would not trail the remainder of the first half. The teams went to the locker room with Nebraska Wesleyan holding a five point advantage over the Tigers.

Nebraska Wesleyan came out in the second half and forced the tempo. They scored the first four points of the half, but Mitch Drey was able to put the Tigers on the board after hitting a jumper.

Iowa Wesleyan trailed by 13 with 18:03 left in the second half. Steven Soukup sank a three pointer to cut the deficit to nine points, and Drey followed with a layup on their next possession to bring the score to 61-54. The Tiger offense hit a dry spell, and the Prairie Wolves took advantage by building an 18-point lead with 12:01 remaining in the game. IW did not give up and began chipping away at the lead. Iowa Wesleyan was able to get within four points of the lead after a pair of free throws by Steven with 3:21 left to play. The Tigers were forced to foul late in the game, and Nebraska Wesleyan would go on to defeat the Tigers 101-89.

Iowa Wesleyan shot 44.9 percent from the field and 31.8 percent from behind the arc against the Prairie Wolves. Both teams struggled at the free throw line throughout the game, and IW was just 64.5 percent from the charity stripe.

The Tigers were led in scoring by Drey, who finished the game with 22 points. Butler and Soukup were not far behind with 21 and 20 points respectively. Marquis Jones was the final Tiger to reach double digit scoring. He recorded 11 points and grabbed five rebounds in the loss.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.