Mt Pleasant News

Wash Journal   Fairfield Ledger
Neighbors Growing Together | Oct 23, 2017

IWU women lose third straight

Dec 22, 2016

Iowa Wesleyan hosted Nebraska Wesleyan Tuesday evening in their final non-conference matchup before the break.

For the second game in a row, the Tigers struggled to get their shots to fall, as Nebraska Wesleyan handed IW their third straight loss, 64-51

The Tigers got off to a slow start against the Prairie Wolves. They fell behind 0-5 in the first three minutes of play before Cairece Allen finally put IW on the board with a pair of free throws.

Another pair of free throws by Darby Massner brought the score to 7-4 with 6:17 to go in the opening quarter. Nebraska Wesleyan went on a run on offense and built their lead to 11 points with just under three minutes remaining.

Darby sank another pair of free throws to end the run, and helped get the Tiger offense going. She drained a three-pointer with 2:05 on the clock to continue to chip away at the lead, and by the end of the first period, Iowa Wesleyan and Nebraska Wesleyan were tied at 15-15.

The second quarter once again started slow for both teams. The Prairie Wolves broke the tie with a three-pointer to start the scoring, but Allie Massner drove to the basket and was fouled. She hit two free throws to put IW back within one.

Nebraska Wesleyan was able to extend their lead to seven points after holding the Tigers scoreless for almost three minutes of play.

With 2:33 remaining in the half, Iowa Wesleyan trailed 29-18.

IW’s defense held Nebraska Wesleyan scoreless for the rest of the half, and the Tigers were able to cut the deficit to six points as the teams headed to the locker room.

Iowa Wesleyan was unable to find an answer to the Prairie Wolves defense as the second half started. LaStella Slack scored the first points for the Tigers with 7:24 on the clock, cutting the NWU lead to eight points.

Nebraska Wesleyan extended their lead to 11 points with 5:21 to go in the third quarter. Jaimie Hurd made two free throws to bring the lead back to single digits for the Prairie Wolves.

Iowa Wesleyan could not get any closer than nine points as the quarter wore on, and by the end of the period, Nebraska Wesleyan held a 49-36 advantage.

Slack opened the scoring up in the fourth quarter with a jumper to bring the score to 49-38. After a free throw by NWU, Darby hit a three pointer on the Tigers next possession to cut the Prairie Wolves lead to nine points.

With 4:05 remaining, Iowa Wesleyan trailed by just eight points when Jaimie Hurd scored on a layup in the paint. The Tigers had opportunities late to continue to chip away at the lead, but they were unable to get anything to fall. IW was forced to foul in the final minutes of play, and Nebraska Wesleyan went on to win 64-51.

The Tigers had three players score in double figures, and were led by Darby. She recorded a double-double in the loss, ended the game with 15 points and 10 rebounds.

Hurd and Slack each had 11 points for IW. Hurd was 5-7 from the free throw line and grabbed seven rebounds, while Slack was 3-3 from the line and grabbed three rebounds before fouling out of the game.

Iowa Wesleyan’s next game will be on December 31, 2016. They will travel to Kirksville, Missouri to take on Truman State University in an exhibition contest at 1:30 p.m.

With the loss tonight, the Tigers are now 3-7 overall.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.