Mt Pleasant News

Wash Journal   Fairfield Ledger
Neighbors Growing Together | Nov 21, 2017
Winfield-Mt. Union football

Wolves hold on for win over Highland

By Ashlee De Wit | Sep 23, 2013
Photo by: Dana Royer W-MU's Garrett Baker (85) makes a catch for the Wolves, evades the Highland defense and takes it in for the touchdown in Friday night’s game at Winfield. The Wolves evened their record to 1-1 with the win over Highland and travel to Lisbon on Friday.

WINFIELD — Max Fricke came up with another big night to help aid the W-MU football team, and the Wolves held on to a late lead for a 34-32 win over Highland on Friday.

“Our boys did an outstanding job of staying in the game and competing,” W-MU Coach Scott McCarty said. “It was a back-and-forth affair, and our kids just (took) care of business.”

Fricke threw for 149 yards and rushed for 128 yards in the game, leading the Wolves in both categories. He had a hand in each W-MU touchdown, rushing for two and throwing for three.

Garret Baker caught two touchdown passes and had 102 receiving yards on the night. Darren Hunter caught a 20-yard touchdown pass, and Lake Carlson had a 27-yard reception.

“(Highland) shut down the district leader Jake Edwards tonight in the passing game, but we had other guys step up and make plays,” McCarty said.

On the ground, Hunter led the Wolves with an average of 12 yards per carry, picking up 48 yards on four rushing attempts.

Thayne McElhinney had 63 yards on 21 carries.

“Our front five of Klayton Booth, Kyle Davis, Sam Jennings, Taime Fenton and Colton Hinkle did an outstanding job of controlling the line of scrimmage,” McCarty said.

The Wolves also gained quite a bit of ground on 18 Highland errors, which cost the Huskies 90 yards.

The Wolves, on the other hand, played a pretty clean game.

“I was extremely proud of our discipline tonight, having only four penalties for 30 yards,” McCarty said. “Our guys did a great job.”

On defense, Hunter, Fricke and Kyle Davis had seven tackles apiece. Fenton had the team’s only tackle for loss.

Davis, Riley Heinzel and Matthew Neibuhr each recovered a fumble.

“We were able to control the line of scrimmage and make plays when we needed to,” McCarty said.

The Wolves got off to a good start in the game, getting on the board in their opening drive when Fricke took advantage of a few good blocks by the W-MU line and made a 55-yard touchdown run.

The teams battled from there, and the Wolves tried to stop the Huskies from taking back the advantage.

Highland had a late touchdown to come within two points, and tried for the two-point conversion.

“They went for two so that they could tie it, and Jake Edwards stepped up and made a physical play to keep the quarterback out of the endzone and keep us with the lead,” McCarty said.

When the Wolves got the ball in what would be their last possession, Fricke and Hunter each ran for a first down, running out enough time to seal the win.

W-MU is now 2-2 overall and 1-1 in the district. They travel to Lisbon on Friday.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.